Monday 24 December 2012

Life and Times of Furness Vale Printworks



 The story of the Derbyshire village of Furness Vale and it's calico printworks as recorded in the scrapbooks of Mr W. A. Bradbury. A leading member of the community, Bradbury spent his working life at the mill where he was a foreman. He was a staunch member of the Methodist Chapel and a lay preacher as well as being closely involved in other local organisations. This book is compiled from W. A. B's records and includes many reproductions from his collection of handbills, photos and cuttings. Mr Bradbury died in 1926 at the age of 67

Published by Furness Vale Local History Society, this book of 80 pages is available price £5 from Furness Vale Post Office or from the Society; email furnesshistory@gmail.com for details.

An e-book edition is now available for download to your Kindle, price £1.96 from Amazon

2 comments:

  1. Hi .I am researching my family history and found that several of my ancesters worked at Furness Vale calico printworks. Trying to find out more about it I came across this book and downloaded it. I was surprised to find that William Alfred Bradbury is my great great uncle . Also in the book there are photos of my great grandfather Benjamin Bradbury and my grandfather Frank Bradbury . It was lovely to read the letter he sent to his brother during WW1 when he was in the army.Thank you for giving me a little more insight into their lives. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ann
    Thank you so much for writing. I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed reading this book and that you have found a link to your past. Mr Bradbury was a notable member of our community here in Furness Vale and was a leading light in many aspects of village life. I frequently come across his name when researching our local history. We have a number of photographs in our archives which include W. A. B., many of which do not appear in this book. If you would like to send me your email address, I will forward copies to you.
    You might like to visit the Furness Vale History Society Blog which features many articles and photographs about our village. If you wish, I will add your email address to the mailing list for our quarterly Newsletter. This is a news and features magazine distributed by email, the next issue is due on 1st October.

    Kindest regards
    Dabid Easton
    Archivist and Editor
    Furness Vale History Society.

    ReplyDelete